Contact Us
FAQs
Virtual Tour
HCP Videos
Volunteer / Wishlist
Calendar
Master Plan
Links/Remarks
Home
Newsletters
Fitchburg 50 at the Saratoga Station in the late 1800's. A short time later, the Fitchburg Line would be absorbed by the Boston & Maine. In the back is the Saratoga Springs Armory. Presently home of the New York State Military Museum.(Collection of David Nestle)
ABOVE: A view of the trestle from the Eagle Point Trail

LEFT: is Boston and Maine's 920 in the Saratoga Yards in 1903. In the cab is engineer Hotaling. (Collection of David Nestle)

The first railway in the United States was one of two miles long, from Milton to Quincy, Massachusetts, in 1826, The cars were drawn by horses. The Baltimore and Ohio was the first passenger railway in America, fifteen m les being opened in 1830 the cars being drawn by horses till the next year, when a locomotive was put on the track, built by Davis, of York, Pennsylvania. It had an upright boiler and cylinder. The Mohawk and Hudson, sixteen miles, from Albany to Schenectady, was the next line, opened in 1831, and the cars were drawn by horses till the delivery of the locomotive ' De Witt Clinton," which was built at the West Point Foundry, New York. This was the second locomotive built in the United States ; the first was made at the same shop for the South Carolina Railway. The termini both a Schenectady and Albany were upon Inclined planes with stationary engines.
The tracks in Schuylerville, for the Fitchburg Railroad, later the Boston and Main, ran down the middle of Green street.
When residents of Green Street heard that a railroad track was planned for the middle of their street they issued an injunction to stop the work. The boss of the work crew knew that an injunction could not be served on a Sunday.
On a Saturday, materials were gathered at the south end of the street and on Sunday the tracks were laid up the middle of the street and past the village lines by Sunday night. They stayed there for 75 years.

To the north, they crossed Route 4 and then crossed Hudson Crossing Park. As you walk up to Eagle Point in this Park, you will see piers for a concrete trestle that the railroad used.

In 1957 the Green Streat tracks were removed.
The image left is what the first railroad in the state looked like when it made it's first run in 1831 when it ran from Albany to Schenectady. It was named the Dewit Clinton. The photo right was taken in New York City when the train was shown in exibition with a rebuilt engine. New York Central employees dressed in the costume of 1831 for the event.

By 1832 a rail line ran from Schenectady to Saratoga Springs but Schuyerville was not linked to the line until 1882.
Stay in the loop with
our free e-Newsletter